TikTok and Conservation International’s #SaveOurOceans Campaign
Marine pollution due to plastics is one of the major growing concern of the hour. According to studies, by 2050, there will be more plastic than fishes in the ocean. This has led to various initiatives across the world addressing this crucial environmental challenge. The latest to join the league is TikTok.
TikTok along with Conservation International introduced a challenge named #SaveOurOceans as a social awareness drive for ocean conservation. Conservation International works worldwide to preserve the ocean and marine ecosystems and people depending on them.
- Leading short video platform TikTok has recently teamed up with non-profit environmental organisation Conservation International to launch the #SaveOurOceans challenge.
- The challenge aims to address marine plastic pollution, protecting oceans and the marine ecosystem.
- As stated by UN, plastic consumption results in the extinction of around millions of marine animals and birds every year.
- #SaveOurOceans is a part of global campaign joined in by countries like India, UK, France, Spain, Taiwan, South Africa, Brazil, Columbia, Chile and more.
- Under this program, the mobile video platform TikTok will be donating up to $100,000 to help save around 3000 square kilometres of ocean.
- TikTok users can use its creative platform to spread awareness and support ocean conservation simply by uploading short videos using its special ocean plastic filters.
- Many global influencers have also joined in the challenge to contribute to the cause.
- In an attempt to show their support, from August 26 to September 9, the users of the app could add an ocean filter in their short videos which allows them to clean plastic from the ocean virtually.
- Under this exciting initiative, TikTok will contribute $2 to Conservation International for every video uploaded with the mention #SaveOurOceans
This partnership of TikTok with Conservation International empowers its users to creatively show their dedication and raise awareness towards the importance of protecting a valuable natural resource.