Bournvita, a delicious chocolate health drink that is sometimes loved to be eaten raw! It is a brand of malted and chocolate malt drink mixes which is manufactured by Cadbury, a company of Mondelez International. Bournvita is the most popular brown beverages consumed as a milk supplement among children and mothers in India.
In the 1870s, Cadbury shifted their business to the South of Birmingham. It called the area “Bournville” (Bourn – the name of the river, Ville – town). In the 1930s, Cadbury soon unveiled a vitaminized version of drink coming from the house of Bournville which they named “BournVita”. Today, Bournvita has positioned itself as a brand that provides the best nutrition health drink for the overall development and growth of children. It has a global reach in India, Benin, Nigeria, Nepal, South Africa, Ghana, Togo etc.
Bournvita has been incredibly successful in India. The brand has sustained itself in the market through these years despite backlashes. Some of the interesting facts behind these flying colours of Bournvita are:
1. Focus on nutrition and health:
- The main aim of Bournvita is to provide a healthy and tasty drink.
- Nutrition of kids has always been a huge concern for Indian mothers. There is no compromise on it at all.
- Most common nutrients that they look for are – carbohydrates, proteins, and mineral such as iron, calcium, and magnesium vitamins like B & D.
- Bournvita seemed to understand the Indian market very well and thus provides a drink that provides a holistic healthy experience, that incorporates these elements.
2. Identifying the target audience:
- Bournvita understands the demographics of its customers immensely.
- Though the end-user is children, they do not have the purchasing power and may not be responsible to buy the product also.
- All the decisions regarding food, nutrition and diet are taken by mothers in an Indian family. Ultimately, they are the ones who will make a purchase.
- Therefore, Bournvita started targeting Indian mothers aggressively. This is the reason why ad campaigns of Bournvita include both mother and the child.
3. Understanding the preferences of the consumer:
- Bournvita caught the idea that plain milk was not appreciated by all kids and thus adding a flavour which they like will make them happily drink milk every day.
- Indians always resonated chocolate with Cadbury as the most liked flavour.
- Since the parent company is Cadbury it was bound to make this perfect blend of chocolate and milk.
- Giving chocolate flavour to Bournvita has been like a cherry on the cake, as children love chocolates.
- The company maintained its granular texture of drink powder and the well – rounded flavour.
4. Expanding product mix:
- Bournvita learnt that one product would not be sufficient to cater needs of different demographics of its customer keeping in mind the growing age of children.
- It identified different products for the different age group to maintain the interest of its customers.
- The company launched – Bournvita Five Star Magic for nutritional development, Cadbury’s Bournvita for physical growth, Bournvita Li’l Champs for young children.
- It also came up with a product for young mothers and their healthy growth.
5. Providing “Extra” with Bournvita:
- Though Bournvita has adopted a higher price range than its competitors, the projection of its nutritional value and taste is what housewives do not mind paying for.
- It keeps its customers engaged by providing timely incentives.
- These includes providing free chess game, mugs, freebies on winning Bournvita quizzes etc.
- These are some measures through which it engages its customers and controls the pricing policy.
Bournvita is always open to adopting new trends and understanding the changing needs of its customers. It has strong and direct competition with Horlicks but still sustains its position in the market. The company invests heavily in Omnichannel Marketing and its communication channels. Bournvita is well known for its interesting ad campaigns for promoting their products in a unique promotional activity to grab customers attention and increase their visibility. Some of them are:
- “Taiyaari Jeet Ki” Ad Campaign – It uses Emotional Appeal Strategy in this ad campaign. It shows how Bournvita helps you to ahead of your barriers and win them with. It is seen that it often uses mother and a child in their ad campaigns as a tool to connect emotionally with Indians consumers.
- “Bournvita Li’l Champs” Ad Campaign – It adopts “Bandwagon Strategy” where Kajol Devgan promotes the tagline that intelligent mothers choose Bournvita for their children. Brand uses this technique to convince mothers to opt for this product and be on the winning side for their child’s overall growth.
- The brand has been a part of Movie Marketing in the film “Koi Mil Gaya”. The film is famous for Rohit’s favourite drink – Bournvita and how he drinks its every day as a part of his routine. It indirectly insists that Bournvita can be a huge source of development as a milk supplement in the initial years of a child’s life.
- It hosts the “Cadbury Bournvita Quiz Contest” since the year 1972 as a live radio show and lately as a prominent show on television.
- Bournvita is also associated with “Bournvita Confidence Academy” which is aimed at discovering Confidence Champions who are beyond the ordinary, who have achieved considerable success in any given skill at the State/National/International level. This is done to have a balance with their academics and extracurricular activities.
Since beginning, Bournvita has always maintained its goodwill position in the Indian market which has helped the company to grow phenomenally. The company has a lot of potential opportunities to run ad campaigns on social media and make them viral. Though the company has successfully formed perception in the mind of its customers that Bournvita as a brand is a perfect blend of health, taste, intelligence and confidence.