A brand is an identifying symbol, mark, logo, name, word and/or sentence that companies use to distinguish their product from others. A combination of one or more of those elements can be utilized to create a brand identity. Examples of strong brands are Zara, Mercedes, Apple, Tata, Amul, etc.
- This provides us with a first step in measuring the value of a brand. Strongly advertised brands carry a higher-than-average price, so they are more profitable. They have lower price elasticity than less well-advertised or unadvertised brands.
- A growing brand also becomes increasingly profitable for two further reasons: the first connected with consumer behavior and the second, with advertising.
- In consumer terms, the sales of a brand can be calculated by multiplying its penetration (numbers of households buying the brand in a defined period) and its purchase frequency (the number of purchases of the brand during that period).
- The second factor increasing the profit of large brands relates to their advertising. The normal pattern for a stable brand is for its share of all advertising in the category (share of voice or SOV) to be approximately equal to its share of the market (SOM).
- Small brands over-advertise (with SOV higher than SOM) while large brands under-advertise (with SOV below SOM). Such underinvestment – often by 2 or 3 percentage points of SOV – represents large sums that go straight to the bottom line.
- The brand’s health and buoyancy are expressed in its annual profit, and this becomes the basis of negotiation between the manufacturer and the buyer of the brand, the eventual sum being a multiple based on a number of years’ profit.
In a market like India, where there is significant growth in nearly all categories, the multiple is likely to be much higher, and a figure of 30 should not be unexpected.
14 thoughts on “Measuring the value of a brand”
I have been browsing online more than 3 hours
today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It’s pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all web owners
and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be
a lot more useful than ever before.
Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Keep up the excellent work!
Do you have any video of that? I’d like to find out more details.
Hello, everything is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s actually good, keep up writing.
Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a material!
present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this site.
I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I am not
sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem.
You’re incredible! Thanks!
Thank you for providing me with these article examples. May I ask you a question?
Thanks for another fantastic article. Where else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.
Thanks for your tips about this blog. One thing I would wish to say is the fact purchasing gadgets items on the Internet is not new. The fact is, in the past decades alone, the marketplace for online electronic products has grown significantly. Today, you will find practically any kind of electronic gizmo and devices on the Internet, ranging from cameras along with camcorders to computer spare parts and gambling consoles.
Excellent blog here! Also your web site loads up very fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol
Thanks for the interesting things you have exposed in your text. One thing I would like to reply to is that FSBO associations are built as time passes. By bringing out yourself to owners the first weekend their FSBO will be announced, before the masses start out calling on Wednesday, you build a good association. By mailing them equipment, educational products, free reports, and forms, you become an ally. By subtracting a personal desire for them and also their scenario, you create a solid network that, many times, pays off once the owners opt with an agent they know along with trust – preferably you.
Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any method you may take away me from that service? Thanks!
whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your articles. Keep up the good work! You know, many people are searching around for this information, you could help them greatly.
I have seen many useful items on your web-site about desktops. However, I have got the thoughts and opinions that netbooks are still more or less not powerful sufficiently to be a good choice if you typically do things that require loads of power, for instance video editing. But for world wide web surfing, word processing, and majority of other prevalent computer work they are just great, provided you may not mind small screen size. Many thanks sharing your ideas.