• Maybelline New York, the number one global cosmetics brand with 200 products distributed around 129 countries. The reason behind this success is the unique history which leads to the evolution of the brand.
• In 1913, young Chicago chemist Thomas Williams had an elder sister, Maybel, who was in love with a man who was in love with someone else.
• Maybel Williams did her best with what was available—she used petroleum jelly on her lashes and brows to enhance them. Her brother decided to help her increase her allure by adding carbon dust to the petroleum jelly, which darkened her lashes and brows more dramatically.
• The product worked.
• In 1915, Maybel got her man and Thomas founded what would become the global industry giant, Maybelline, named after the bride and her favourite beauty aid.
• Two years later, Williams introduced Maybelline Cake Mascara, the first modern eye cosmetic made for everyday use.
• Initially available only through mail order, it was so popular that women began to ask for it in drugstores.
• Maybelline became the first cosmetic company to advertise on radio and sales boomed.
And the rest, as they say, is HISTORY !