With every passing day, the impact of social media and advertising is playing a humungous role in influencing people in various ways – be it right, or wrong. This case provides an insight into one such scenario. Metro trains in Melbourne had a problem, the death toll of young people dying and getting injured due to their foolish behavior around rails was rapidly increasing. Metro trains approached McCann Melbourne (an advertising and digital agency) to create awareness on rail safety.
· John Mescall, the creative director of McCann Melbourne felt the need to create effective content for the campaign, more so than a good advertisement. With strong beliefs that “Generation y” feels the need to get involved to grasp the vitality of anything, the agency decided to come up with a campaign that had the opportunity for virality.
· Go to YouTube, type “Dumb Ways to Die”, and if the satirical video of morbidly funny cartoon characters dying due to ridiculous reasons does not find you laughing uncontrollably, then you are dumb (you can find ways to die in the video).
· The aforementioned video was sent to a single reporter initially, who was the transport topic reporter for Melbourne main newspaper. He conceptualized the video effectively, and well, it got viral.
· McCann Melbourne kept the content coming, be it in form of gifs, a downloadable iTunes song or featuring it on Reddit page. Dumb ways to die was everywhere and spreading fast.
· The campaign became a success when people started creating their own content out of the concept, in form of spoofs and videos that have made circles around social media like wildfire. Although, the true success of the campaign might have come up with Russia banning the ad, the pretext being that the original video portrayed a lot of ways for youngsters to commit suicide. The irony of it!
· “Dumb Ways to Die” reached top 100 in 101 countries, top 1,000 in 148 countries. In six weeks, the campaign gathered an estimated $60 million in earned media. A game launched in the same name became the no. 1 free app in 21 countries. Now, these numbers speak volumes.
The campaign showed a 21% decrease in the railway mishaps that were previously happening in Melbourne metro. Although the effectiveness of the campaign cannot be predicted with this figure, the agency did successfully manage to open doors for more discussions about rail safety. Dumb Ways to Die campaign set the stage for further thought process on a topic that was previously showered with ignorance and dumbness (of course).
9 thoughts on “Dumb Ways to Die”
magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not notice this.
You should proceed your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!
Having read this I believed it was really informative. I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this information together.
I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
But so what, it was still worthwhile!
you are really a just right webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing.
It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a fantastic process in this topic!
First of all I want to say awesome blog! I had a
quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how
to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Appreciate it!
Great post. I am facing a few of these issues as well..
Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog
before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back
Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your weblog.
You have some really good articles and I believe I
would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
I’d really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
Please blast me an email if interested. Thank you!
Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring
on other sites? I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and
would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience
would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to
send me an e-mail.
Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was
wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my
comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having
problems finding one? Thanks a lot!